This page contains a list of the issues of Weekly Shōnen Magazine that Hajime no Ippo appeared in. The magazine goes on official sale in Japan on Wednesday each week unless there is a Holiday. During Holiday times (Christmas, New Years, Golden Week in late April, and now Mountain Day or Obon Festival in August that became an official holiday in 2016) Weekly Shonen Magazine release a double issue that covers 2 weeks.
Note: Issues are released about two weeks before cover date.
Note: Break might mean Morikawa Jouji is taking a vacation, health related issue, or researching.
Weekly Shonen Magazine
- Weekly Shōnen Magazine Issue 43, 1989 was the first issue that Hajime no Ippo debut, where Makunouchi Ippo appeared on the cover.
- Weekly Shōnen Magazine Issue 16, 2008 and Weekly Shōnen Sunday Issue 16, 2008 featured Ippo on the cover shaking hands with Conan Edogawa (of Detective Conan) as part of a collaboration plan commemorating the 50th anniversary of both magazines.
- Weekly Shōnen Magazine Issue 20, 2008 featured a special event in which the main characters of Ashita no Joe, Joe Yabuki and Hajime no Ippo, Makunouchi Ippo played a match on a computer simulation. The abilities values of both characters were adjusted to be in the same weight class, where it was set under the supervision of Tetsuya Chiba (mangaka of Ashita no Joe) and Morikawa Jouji. See Ippo vs. Joe for more details.
- Weekly Shōnen Magazine Issue 16, 2009 featured Makunouchi Ippo and other various characters from WSM series on the cover wearing boxing gear and taking a fighting stance while promoting the 100th volume for Hajime no Ippo.
- Weekly Shōnen Magazine Issue 1, 2013 featured Makunouchi Ippo on the cover promoting Hajime no Ippo reaching the 1000th chapter. Various mangaka sent tributes honouring the event.
- Weekly Shōnen Magazine Issue 1, 2014 was the magazine's 55th celebration featuring Makunouchi Ippo alongside other characters from WSM series.
- Weekly Shōnen Magazine Issues 42 and 43, 2019 celebrated 30 years of the series serialisation featuring various coloured pages and tributes from other mangaka. The cover of Issue 42 featured Makunouchi Ippo on it reimagining the Volume 1 cover.
- Weekly Shōnen Magazine Issue 26, 2020 celebrated Hajime no Ippo's 1300th chapter. Makunouchi Ippo was featured on the issue's cover.